Unfortunately due to NDA’s and some extremely sensitive data I cannot share anything that could contain confidential information. This includes original prototypes, wireframes and the designed outcome. I’ve changed identifiers which includes the name of the service.
Our Senior Leaders were having a lot of trouble accessing the application ‘Strap’. ‘Strap is a closed network for Senior Leaders with the aim to help them connect with each other.
Prior to my joining the team had made the decision to use a magic link approach for the login. This meant that Senior Leaders would not need to create an account and need to remember another password but instead would go to ‘Strap’ and enter their email address. ‘Strap’ would then send them an email and the Senior Leader would click on the link to open an authenticated journey of ‘Strap’.
Our Senior Leaders were struggling with this solution. A lot of issues were encountered:
- Emails would get sent to their spam folder
- Virus scanners would pre-click the link causing it to be invalid once the Senior Leader tried to use it
- They would get lost in Tabs
- The existing journey was convoluted
- Error messages were not helpful and the tone was described as ‘scary’
- Was not inclusive to people using assisted technologies
- General usability
- No Branding and generally no thought had gone into the UI Design
Lead User Researcher
Solution (at the time)
Our particular Senior Leaders in the ‘Strap’ Network are so busy. Which meant that the first thing I needed to do was get some User testing sessions booked in. This meant I was booking in advance before we had decided what would be necessary to do. Once booked in I was able to carry out a plethora of the following research and testing techniques with real users:
- Moderated usability testing (remote)
- Card sorting
- Competitor analysis/ Benchmarking
- Competitor testing
- Tree testing
- 1-2-1 interviews
The main focus ‘right now’ was to improve the existing login flow as well as a plan to learn as to where we could deliver in the future. Potentially move away from the magic link.
We started with planning out the research approach with a ‘Research Plan’ and created an Experience Map. We had a very clear direction but at the same time, there was a lot of ambiguity. We had a wide scope for innovation which was very exciting.
Once the selection of hypothesis were created, for example:
We believe that acquiring more active engagement by using ‘Strap’ will be achieved if our Senior Leaders attains the ability to log in seamlessly with improved login flow by focusing on the following areas: Micro Copy, Tone, UI and Setting expectations.Natasha Hampshire
After defining our discussion guide and learning as much as we could first hand we moved onto Usability testing. Unlike the interviews the Usability testing was all facilitated 100% remotely, mainly to support the odd working hours of the Senior Leader. We wanted to be as sensitive as possible and to show that we empathise with their limited amount of time.
Moving past the analysis (as I cannot show any of it) of all the insights flows were swiftly created on the defined problem. We had clear measures; new users, frequency of users, minimising drop-offs during login flow, minimising error messaging etc
We are iteratively improving the login flow, constantly reflecting on and updating our experience map while we learn.